Instead of New Year’s resolutions choosing a word to live by for the year seems to be the new thing. I think this is a great idea as speaking for myself I tend to forget about my New Year’s resolutions soon after making them and only remember them again when making a new one for the next year.
After much thought this year my word is “CREATE”.
I was also considering ‘believe’ and ‘balance’. However, I feel if I sit my bum down and focus on creating things I will be happier which will spill into all areas of my life and bring more balance and I will start believing in my creative ability and start experimenting more. (I think it will also help with my weight loss journey as hopefully I will be too busy to raid the fridge and cupboards!)
I have just finished with one experiment - a daisy made from felt and a zip. Don't know what to do with it at this stage but it has potential.
So this year I just want to CREATE, CREATE, CREATE. I am always happiest when I make some time for myself to be creative.
I have given some thought about what I want to do creatively this year and have decided that seeing as there are 12 months in the year I will set myself 12 creative 'things' I would like to achieve this year (reluctant to call them goals).
I am not setting these in stone and there are no consequences if I do not achieve them as I have made a promise to myself that I will do what I feel passionate about at any one time and not do things because I feel it is what I should be doing or what is expected of me.
12 Months – 12 Goals (in no particular order)
- Create a craft journal system to keep a record of my craft projects.
- Keep a brief daily record of what creative things I have done, seen, heard about etc.
- Finish/or make a quilt to completion (including free motion or hand quilting).
- Keep working on my knitting skills and do something in some form of colourwork.
- Learn to draw and experiment with designing craft projects.
- Make Christmas gifts throughout the year.
- Make myself some clothes – sewing and knitting.
- Set up miniature scenes and photograph them for Myrtle Manor Miniatures blog.
- Work on photography skills and set up an area to take indoor close up photographs.
- Make post entries in my 12Create and Myrtle Manor Miniatures blogs.
- Make the most of having a year’s subscription to Craftsy Unlimited.
- Learn to crochet.
I picked up a ‘Sew Somerset’ magazine at our local Library yesterday – Summer 2016 Issue. It was amongst some books they were taking off their shelves and I love Somerset publications. On page 96 is a little project by Julia Schneider of denim hearts with words. It is a cute little project and I am going to do one with the word ‘Create’ to sit on my craft desk to keep a visual reminder of my word for the year. I have a few pieces of old denim and old doilies and lace and old jewellery parts amongst my craft supplies and think it will be a fun project.
Here is to a creative 2018.