Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Keeping Creative

I promised myself I would try new things and I am doing that.

One craft that I have always admired but have never let myself explore previously is quilting. To this end I have taken the plunge and I am participating in The Splendid Sampler - a mystery 100 block quilt project where you get patterns to make two 6" (when finished) blocks per week. The blocks will comprise a lot of different techniques. It commenced on 14 February and runs through until March next year. I made my first block yesterday. I am fairly happy with it for my first block but I did learn quite a bit about what to do and what not to do in the process. 99 quilt blocks to go.

Block 1 : Hearts Aflutter designed by Pat Sloan

The project has been created by two quilt designers, Jane Davidson and Pat Sloan, and they have 83 fellow designers and industry leaders on board with them.

I am not a quilter so this project will be a challenge for me but I love a challenge. There is a supporting facebook group and there are so many lovely supportive members so I know there will be someone on there that will be able to help me when I don't understand something.

You also get access to a number of bonus projects and one of them was a cathedral window pin cushion by Kim at My Go-Go Life. This is my attempt:


I am pretty happy with that too. I think I am already understanding how people get hooked on quilting, especially with all the gorgeous fabrics that are out there.

I have also had a go at making an Embellished CD Cover from a book called Notebook Covers and More. I quite like the cover but unfortunately because of my bad cutting the fit is pretty tight to get the CD in - I will have to try that one again.



I have also started a 'Leaf Project'. I am going to create an album (book making) containing leaves made in different media. So far I have made some felt and embroidered leaves and a photoshop leaf.




I have also been teaching myself to crochet. My first attempts:





Over the last month among other things I have made myself a 2016 diary with to-do lists, a wall folder for my craft room for throwing papers etc in until I have time to deal with them, I have been taking a few photos, making lists, doing colouring-in, I made a collaged card, finished Cameleon (previous post), have done a lot of planning and searching Pinterest for ideas for my projects (love doing that) and I have created this new blog.

So one month into my new creative journey and I have realised that by just doing a little bit of something creative most days how much you can achieve. I am, however, still working on balancing my creative time with other things such as housework, exercise, paying the bills etc!

Happy making.

10 comments:

  1. Hello Sharee,

    It seems you are not only keeping busy, but also learning a lot of new things in the process. :)

    The "Leaf Project" sounds like fun and your cathedral window pin cushion looks fabulous! :D

    Have a good day,
    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're riding the creativity wave for sure!!! Wow, I'm in awe with all your wonderful results - especially your quilted square looks spectacular and not at all like a first attempt. Of course I'm really curious to see what you're going to do with the lovely kit which reminds me in a way of the good ol' days when I was working on Flower Cottage which seems somehow similar. Have fun being creative! ;O)

    Hugs
    Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Birgit, you are right, there is a resemblance to Flower Cottage. I only hope my project will turn as wonderful as that.

      Delete
  3. Keeping the creation alive! I do love the leaf project. I think leaves are always perfect decorative pieces, greens and autumn colors work with so much!

    Alright when you going to get working with some poly clay??? Hummmmmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should ask that Jane. I need to try and master polymer clay for what I have in mind for my Creatin Contest entry. Was thinking of trying some today.

      Delete
  4. It's so beutiful. Your work is amazing!!!
    In fact, I looked back through some of your older blog posts, and I think all your work is beautiful - so very well done. I'm looking forward to seeing many more of the lovely pieces that you make. I am following you, it will be very kind and nice if you visit my blog and follow too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Niele. I am now following you.

      Delete
  5. I am doing the Splendid Sampler too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan. Are you a quilter or a newby like me?

      Delete